Pages

Friday 29 May 2015

Yet An Other Different Kind of Christmas- 2014

Last year Christmas day was a day of rest. I was finally on holiday and all I wanted was some time to myself before going on a fabulous adventure with my friends. This year I was all for the quiet approach, knowing that two days of peace and quiet would be much appreciated after the hectic pre-Christmas hospo craziness. My friends though had other ideas. Christmas Eve saw us at a Mexican restaurant indulging in a tequila night. Two of us made it to 9pm when we called quits and left the others too it. It may have been Christmas Eve but I’d been up sin e 4am and for once my body and my brain were in complete agreement,it was bed time!

Christmas day dawned dull and overcast so from the start I knew our planned jump in the sea was not happening. Instead I spent the morning skyping my family and making the world’s most nostalgic happy playlist, appropriately named Yay! Finally friend #1 appeared and I could open the wine. She was slightly hungover and soon made great friends with the couch but only so much that it was amusing. Soon after friend #2 appeared with friend #3. Now friend #1 is from Denmark whilst the rest of us are British born and bred therefore though I had made my playlist for my own amusement but it was quickly clear that it would do for the rest if the day. In between the nostalgia of old tunes we managed to cook a group dinner and empty a few bottles. It wasn’t Christmassy and it certainly wasn’t quiet but it was fun. It was a day I thought I didn’t want but was delighted I had given in to. Friend #1 and #3 left leaving myself and friend #2 to skype with our friend in the UK, with a final glass of chocolate Baileys. Once again Christmas in New Zealand surprised me in the best way. Is it any wonder this is the place I decided to settle in for my extended stay whilst saving experiment? I’d say it was a successful experiment but I am looking forward to 2015. So much to do and so little time. Who knew that the wreck of a person that struggled to exist in March 2009 would grow to have this most amazing life. I’m sure I’ve had some help along the way and whilst I miss him I know that Josh is proud of me, even if he is as baffled as he ever was by some of my choices.




No comments:

Post a Comment