Pages

Tuesday 7 April 2015

Summer Holiday Part 2: Goodbye 2013, Hello 2014!

The next day we were on the move again, this time heading to Waihi Beach where we would be spending the last night of 2013 watching NZ band Fat Freddy’s Drop. The campsite was a step up from our previous field, It not only had better amenities we also had an actual site allocated to us. The staff were helpful and friendly and even helped us sort out our transport to the gig that evening. I have to say it was one of the best New Years I’ve had in a long time. We ordered our drinks from the extremely crowded bar four at a time and managed to find each other every time we got lost. The music was amazing and the atmosphere happy. At the end of the gig we had a bit of a wait for our pre-booked taxi but we coped and were all happy to get back to our tents that evening. The next day the wisdom of our decision to stay put for the day was proven. Our designated driver needed the extra 24 hours to sober up and my other friend and I enjoyed spending the day in the natural spa pool, it was an excellent hangover cure. Well that and the cheese and steak pie from the camp shop. We did consider braving crossing the water to the beach but in the end we took the safe option of staying put and I don’t think either of us regretted it. Our driver eventually emerged and managed to have some dinner with us then it was an early night as we had a long drive the next day.



Too soon it was the last day of my holiday. We drove to Auckland stopping in Paeroa to get out photo taken with the giant L&P bottle of course. In Auckland I was deposited at my hostel before they headed off for the second week of their adventure in the North Islands. My hostel was chosen for it’s proximity to the airport so even now I cannot really say I have ever been to Auckland. The next day I caught my early flight and once in Wellington headed straight to work. My holiday was over and 2014 had begun.



No comments:

Post a Comment