Pages

Thursday 23 August 2012

Broome: First Impressions


Broome

Having experienced my first airport delay you might think I would be wondering if the world was trying to tell me something but the thought never crossed my mind. I arrive in Broome at 8pm at night and walked across the road to the hostel. It is a licensed YHA so I was warned not to bring in any alcohol. Of course that would never be a problem for me but since I am on my dry kick it amused me slightly. The people I saw whilst checking in were mostly young and were obviously on their way out to a local club. The receptionist was very friendly so I asked her about any work going in the area or if they were looking for staff. She said they were looking and offered to point out a few places I might try in town. So after dumping my stuff and unpacking the bare minimum I went back downstairs to the bar for a diet coke and some information. She said they manger was looking for a six month commitment. I am sure you can imagine my response to that but on reflection I thought it might work. If I were able to explore the nearby national p arks and surrounding area and even take a week or two off to go further afield then maybe staying in Broome for six months could be just what I needed. Since I wasn’t sure what the hostel would be looking for I also gratefully took the map with some local bars and cafes marked on it. During our conversation I also noticed a more eclectic mix of people coming and going which relieved me slightly as I am definitely not looking to hang out with the young drinking and dancing crown,

One of the problems with arriving at night is that sometimes your roomies are asleep and this makes organising yourself difficult. I had managed to find my pj’s and sort of make my bed on arrival but decided that would do for my first night. I therefore spent the rest of the night sitting in the common area watching the world go by whilst working through a book I had been given on my birthday during a previous visit to Perth. I only meant to flick through it but ended up reading it for hours. I now have an even longer list of places to go and things to do including learning to kayak. I wonder, should I place that before or after the scuba diving? I have to learn to kayak because there were too many great adventures suggested by this book that involved it for it not to be an essential skill that I must one day learn.

Back in the real world and the next morning it was time to go job hunting. I got up reasonably early as I had not slept too well. Though Broome is warmer than Perth I only had a light sheet and the absence of a blanket makes sleep difficult for me. Surprisingly the noise didn’t bother me as much and I found myself strangely happy to be back in a hostel.  Once I was showered and dressed in my summer clothes my first stop had to be the supermarket. On my way out the manager was at reception so I stopped to say hello and give her my CV. I’m not sure this was a good idea as I was sleepy and hungry and therefore don’t think I made the best impression. Still she took my CV and said she’d have a look at it. The next stop was more successful. I bought food and stopped on my way back to ‘hire’ some utensils from the front desk which allowed me to finally get some breakfast. I must remember in future that a late arrival means no food in the morning.

Fed and watered I headed out to explore the town and visit the two most promising places on the map for work. The first place I went to was nice with a friendly comfortable atmosphere. One of the staff took my CV and asked me some questions before going to find his boss. He was unsuccessful but told me he would pass on my CV and to call back in a few days if I hadn’t heard from them. The next place was a more typical bar and for the first time in years I was required to pour a pint, well a middy which is kind of like an Aussie half pint. It wasn’t my best effort but it also wasn’t my worst and I think I came off as out of practice rather than inexperienced which is as well considering how many pints I pulled in my youth in between university terms. The girl I spoke to was friendly and asked me to drop back with a completed application form and my RSA attached to my CV. I wandered round the area seeing if there were any other likely employment opportunities. There wasn’t really but there were some interesting shops and some places I would try if nothing comes of my first round of CV dropping.

After a quick stop for some lunch I returned to the hostel to print my RSA and fill out the bar application form.  I also took the opportunity to get a blanket for my bed in the hopes it would help me sleep better. I’m pretty sure the staff here think I’m stalking them as I kept returning to the reception desk but with blanket, internet, utensils acquired and food bags labelled I think I can leave them in peace from now on. I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and walk the five kilometres to cable beach. I took my CVs with me but I was more interested in the walk than looking for work at this point. On my way I got a call from my first and preferred venue and we organised a trial for the following day. I then enjoyed my walk helped by the sun disappearing in the foggy sky lowering the temperature making it a great day for walking.

At Cable beach I handed in my CV to the cafe I stopped at to buy a cool drink. They weren’t really looking and at that moment neither was I but it did hurt to leave it with them since I was there.  Rested and watered I walked back to the hostel feeling that I my first twenty-four hours in Broome had been pretty successful. Now all I need is a friend or two and I think I shall like it here quite nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment