Pages

Monday 10 October 2011

What do you do once the snow has gone?


On hearing that we would be closing early due to the lack of snow I think most of us were a little relived. Whilst working in the snow had been fun the last few weeks had been hard due to the lack of customers. When your role is customer service and there are no customers what do you do? Well there is always something to clean and our hours got cut some we had some lovely early days but in the end when you run out of customers it’s time to move on.

One of the things I love about being a backpacker is the lack of restrictions I have on my time. On hearing that we were closing early I turned round to one of my friends and invited myself to her house. Now I have to defend myself here and say that I was kidding, however when she came back a few minutes later and said I was actually invited I was delighted that I was able to take her up on her offer. So after the snow had gone I for one went home with my friends. It made leaving easier for me knowing that I was going to see my roommate again and that I would get to hang out with one of the closest friends I had made since coming to Australia.

My friends parents are wonderful. They obviously love their daughters and are happy to have people coming and going from their house. They welcomed me into their home and therefore allowed my friend and I to put off the next part of our adventures a little longer. I stayed near Wollongong and we had lunch out everyday whilst my friend showed me her home town and its surroundings. The day after we arrived my ex-roommate visited to collect some things we had brought up for her and we spent the day hanging out together. The next night after another lunch out and some food shopping I cooked dinner for the family and tried to format my friends hard drive so it could be read by her tv. The other evenings of my stay my friends mum cooked and I thoroughly enjoyed the home cooked family meals, even if it did make me a little homesick for my own families. 


On my final day we were forced to lunch out again before heading back to the house to enjoy a Jurassic Park marathon. I had a lovely few days with my friend in her home town. I was sorry to leave her home I but I was comforted by the fact we had arranged to go to the Blue Mountains the following Wednesday with our other friend and my ex-roommate before I left NSW. Of course that didn’t stop me from being my usual lackadaisical self and having to be hurried along by my friends mother who was concerned that I reach Sydney whilst it was still light. Eventually though I got myself packed and sorted and it wasn’t long until I was once again on my way back to Sydney.











No comments:

Post a Comment