Pages

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Canberra

People over here are so hard on poor Canberra. I for one quite like it. Ok I wouldn’t want to live here but it’s a lovely little city. The staff at my hostel were unfailingly friendly, usually there’s always one member of staff who obviously cannot be bothered but here everyone I’ve spoken to is lovely. There are some renovations going on but I was warned of those when I booked and again when I checked in and I can’t say I was inconvenienced by them in any way. Since I was only in Canberra for a few days I booked in to an eight share room figuring I could put what I saved towards food as I wasn’t there long enough to cook properly; not even my version of properly which would make people who actually cook shudder I know. The consequence of this is that during my short stay I met a surprising number of people who like me were just passing through. It seems to be that kind of city. People come here with a purpose and once it’s accomplished they go.

In all honesty there wasn’t a lot to do there. I arrived late on Thursday morning and was able to check straight into my room. I’d had an early but not long flight and the bus journey from the airport was quick and easy yet I did not find myself inclined towards exploring.  I ventured out to the nearest supermarket for some lunch and basic supplies but spent the rest of my day in the hostel catching up on myself.

Over the next two days I visited the National art Gallery and Museum. They could easily have been done in one and one of the girls who passed through the dorm managed to fit these and more into one day. I preferred to take my time, I found Canberra to be a relaxing city and enjoyed the slower pace for a change. It doesn’t feel rushed, like everything had to be done yesterday and the people walking about are walking not running like they seem to do in the CBDs in other cities. I explored the lake a little but it was getting cold there and my winter stuff hasn’t been sent over yet, I am muchly looking forward to the arrival of my hat, gloves and woolly jumpers once I am settle in Jindy. Mostly what I did there is relax managing to read some more and get a lie in or two. The most I’ve ‘cooked’ is when I made myself some toasted cheese sandwiches. So I don’t care what other people say I like Canberra and I am looking forward to visiting it for a couple more (hopefully warmer) days.

  


3 comments:

  1. Seems your having a well deserved rest with a slower pace in Canberra. That is a very interesting glass globe in the photo - how is it suspended up in the air Lyn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's held up by wires, If you click on the photo you can see a larger version and if you look closely enough you can see some of the wires :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can see the wires now Lyn, that is pretty amazing, ingenious and a well taken photo too :)

    ReplyDelete