Pages

Sunday 17 April 2011

Unemployed No More

Last Saturday I went to Bondi Beach with a couple of girls from the hostel. After some sun worshipping on Bondi we treated ourselves to some ice lollies and headed along the coast towards Coogee. It was a beautiful walk and we stopped many times to admire the views and rest our feet. At Coogee we rewarded ourselves with some cold drinks and a massive bowl of potato wedges. It would have been a good day anyway but it was made even better by the phone call I received in the afternoon asking me to work the following day.  It was absolutely worth the hassle of setting up my voicemail to receive that message!

The next day instead of playing tourist I had a thirty minute walk to work where my task for Sunday and Monday was to operate the Lucky Duck stall. Even though I feel my soul has been tarnished as I convince small children to play the game at their parent’s expense I was a surprised at how much I enjoyed the day. It was nice to be back working again and even though more often than not the kids won the small prizes most of the time they were happy with that and it was fun to see them trying to hook the duck and being proud of themselves when they managed it. On Wednesday I was moved to a different stall but it was a similar set up to the ducks except I had to count up their scores which taxed my brain more than it had been taxed in quite a while. I’ll say this for my new job too, it has helped me become familiar with the Australian currency much faster than I would have otherwise.

Thursday was a different day again. I was not working but took the day off as I had an interview in the afternoon. The morning was spent being lazy and preparing for the interview which turned out to be very pleasant. I was interviewed by a married couple who own two restaurants in Thredbo, one of the few places in Australia where you can ski. Post interview I had to go shoe shopping and I do mean had to as sadly my DCs were by now quite wrecked. I was completely horrified at the cost of trainers over here and the sting was only taken out of my purchase by the second pair of shoes I got free even if it did take me over an hour to find two pairs of shoes that I liked and that fitted before I could make my purchase. I really hope these shoes last as I do not want to be doing that again anytime soon.

On Friday the weather took a turn for the worse as the day started out cloudy and later on it started to rain. I thought Australia was the land of eternal sunshine, boy was I wrong. I swear it has rained more weekends than not since I got here. The bad weather kept the folks away from the fair so I was moved inside to make up some goody bags, something I was grateful for the next day as it didn’t just rain but poured all day Saturday. Thankfully I got to spend the day inside making up more goody bags and only had to brave the weather to get home and do my weekly shop. Living as a backpacker is certainly different to playing at one as I did in the USA. To brighten my day on Friday I received an e-mail offering me a position at one of the restaurants which I gladly accepted though I do now have to find myself some accommodation in a ski resort and a snow suit. Yes a ski suit. If nothing else my months in the snow should help keep away any home sickness I might be feeling by then.

Sunday started out a little cloudy but thankfully it soon brightened out and many of the Sydney folk decided to visit our fair. It was great to be busy all day and to top the day off I joined a large group of fellow hostellers for a shared dinner (real food!!) hosted and cooked by a lovely member of staff who is leaving Sydney soon and heading home in the not too distant future. When I speak to people who are heading home I think that one day that will be me but for now I am glad that I am at the start of my adventure with many moths of Aussie living ahead of me.





No comments:

Post a Comment