Pages

Thursday 24 March 2011

G'day Folks

Are you excited? That’s the question of the week and the answer has consistently been no. Despite the fact I am doing something that hundreds if not thousands of people do every year it’s the first time I’ve done it and therefore I am not excited because I am too busy being a bag of nerves and slightly terrified. However if I stay I have to get myself a proper job and other such normal things so off to Australia I go. I keep telling myself it is a fabulous place and even more I am going to love it there, that It will be a great adventure and I will give my camera plenty of exercise but there is that nagging worry that says, what of it’s not? So with that in mind and having had very little sleep by the time I arrived in Sydney once the plane landed I did have the fleeting thought that I could get on a another plane and come straight home, after all I had landed so if I did I could still say I had been to Australia. It was hard to land and enter the country without Josh but I thought of how much he wanted to visit and though it made me sad it also hardened my resolve and so I collected my bag, went through customs and headed for the train.

My train stopped very near my hostel and I arrived there at 8am local time only to be told that check-in was at 1pm. I was assured that it was a lovely day and I was able to re-pack store my main bag so I could take advantage of said lovely day and explore. Now on arriving in a new city I always feel disorientated and a bit grumpy, partly due to the fear of the unknown but mostly due to the amount of travel I have to do to get there so you can imagine how happy I was at this suggestion. However I did as suggested and really it was the best arrival in to a new city yet. I really wanted a shower and bed but since that wasn’t an option I decided to keep my distance from folk and do some much needed shopping. I walked down towards the harbour but decided to save the proper tourist stuff for a less sleep deprived me and went in search of a hat and sunglasses instead. It turned out to be surprisingly difficult to find what I was looking for as apparently winter is on its way here so all the hats were winter hats with hardly a floppy brim in sight.

Many hours later I returned to the hostel with sunscreen (already applied of course), a hat, sun glasses and an Australian sim card in my phone. I only got disorientated twice and was not at all lost. Ok I had to get my map out to check but both times I was right about where I thought I was and how to get to where I was meant to be so that totally does not count as being lost. On my return the receptionist who I should mention had been very patient with my slowness earlier was happy to check me in. As he checked me in and came to realise that I had not only just arrived in Sydney but in Australia from the UK and was happy to answer more questions about settling in as a long term tourist. Tomorrow I shall sort out a bank account and look in to what one need to work around here.

For now though it’s now 12:30 here and 3:30am in the UK thankful the travels have disrupted my sleep so much I have no idea what time it is in my head though I do know I would really like to go to sleep soon. Which of course it the perfect time to write your blog. On that sleep deprived I shall sign off for now and find another way to beat the z’s. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey sweetie,

    I'm glad you got there safe and sound. How exciting? So many adventures to be had and so much sunshine and new experiences to be had. Stay safe babe.

    Love you,

    Angie
    xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let the excitement begin............you even write well when jet lagged! X

    ReplyDelete